Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Easter comedy bunny

I love Easter in Melbourne... not only because of the chocolate (definitely not enough this year, I need to learn to buy myself some), but because of the comedy festival.

Just walking around town each night, the streets are full of happy people (well, happy people, as well as the usual annoying people, and perhaps some happy people who are annoying as well) going to, and coming from, comedy shows. It really gives Melbourne a great vibe, and I love heading into town to grab some food, have a drink and see a show. The weather always seem to help out too, with those mild Melbourne autumn evenings.

I've long since found my perfect comedy festival groove... about 5 or 6 shows each year, mainly comedians from England, Scotland and Ireland. Something about the humour from that part of the globe really amuses me. (Although, I have to say, that perhaps due to my regular attendance each year, I am becoming somewhat immune to certain jokes and delivery styles - I need to hear and see something really unique to get me laughing heartily).

The line-up so far this year?

Jason Byrne - very crazy man-child. Manic, rambling delivery, quite rude and odd at times, but very funny. If he visits next year, I'll be there again.
Stephen K Amos - pretty funny, but a little bit hit or miss. He had a strange crowd on the night I saw him, including the insane laughing and clapping woman near me, who, surprisingly enough, laughed and clapped loudly (and alone) after almost every line.
Danny Bhoy - delivers his comedy with such a friendly demeanour, that it is hard not to like him. Kept me laughing across a show mainly about experiences in Australia, which can sometimes get dull in someone else's hands.

And still to come...
Daniel Kitson - delivered one of the best shows I've ever seen a few years ago, but hasn't found the same spark in recent years. Hope he fires up again.
Fiona O'Loughlin - always funny on tv, looking forward to her show.

(I do feel a little guilty for not seeing Ross Noble this year... he is still a favourite, but I was definitely developing comedy immunity there, so I hope a year off will do me well for next year...)

No comments: