Sunday, April 22, 2007

Movie mania

There's been a few film releases of late that I've been quite enthusiastic about, unlike a few months ago when there was absolutely nothing around.



300 - 300 was pretty awesome. Who doesn't like guys with swords destroying their enemies with skill, enthusiasm and the removal of limbs and heads? I was impressed with the CGI effects, washing the palette out into primarily browns and greys to mimic the graphic novel style of the source material - it certainly changes the viewing experience for the viewer compared to normal. I loved the amount of controversy, complaints and bad reviews this film got - can't anyone just go to the movies to have fun anymore?



Priceless - I used to want to punch Audrey Tautou in the face ever since I saw the promo poster for Amelie - she just exuded annoying-ness. Not sure I want to do that now, she was good in this movie. A French comedy (if the poster wasn't obvious enough), Priceless was great fun, and pretty amusing too.



Sunshine - This was a strange mix of 2001 and Event Horizon, with a twist of "save the world from freezing over by re-igniting the sun". Slow-paced and tense, it was almost ruined by the poor quality of the film we saw... scratches and lines across the entire screen affected some of the slow pans across the spacecraft and the face of the sun (kind of important in a film called "Sunshine"). I wouldn't say it was a "fun" film, but I certainly enjoyed it and it did have me on the edge of my seat, trying to figure out what would come next; again, it was something a little different to the multiplex cinema norm.

And the next few months are even better for movies (thank you, US summer)...

- Shrek the Third, Pirates of the Caribbean; At World's End, Ocean's 13, Spiderman 3, Live Free or Die Hard, 28 Weeks Later, Transformers, Blades of Glory, The Simpsons Movie -

The movie geek within is stirring...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a very funny review for Priceless.

J.