Sunday, November 12, 2006

How a stupid door policy almost f*cked up my night a.k.a dealings with Miss Door Bitch

OK, so last night I was heading into to Honkytonks to go for one last dance (ankle permitting) before they close at the end of the year (yeah, I know, you can see where this story is going already). Heaps of people have different views on HTs... some love it, some hate it. I've never had a bad night there, but that's mainly because I make sure I laugh at the collar-up guys, watch the drunks with intrigue as they try and find the correct bathroom, and generally just bust out on the dancefloor and try to avoid the attitude. I just wanted to make sure I had that one last night out there; besides, I'm getting old, I don't manage to go "clubbing" much any more.

So where was I? Yep, we were cruising into town, detoured to Loop to have a quick drink before heading to HTs a bit after 10pm. We wandered down the lane, pretty much no one else is sight... looking quiet, it was pretty early, even the door folk were sitting on the stairs. We say hello as Miss Door Bitch wanders up and replies "are you on a guest list? sorry, guest list only tonight"...

WTF? Seriously? Now I've been knocked back maybe once or twice from Honkytonks before (in a crowd of like 10 people once, on a very busy night another time), and had the occasional bit of trouble getting in, but we've never been knocked back on that old classic, the flimsy guest list pretense. Bullsh*t. There was nothing special on that night. There probably weren't even 10 people inside yet.

I don't claim to be the greatest kid on the block, but I'm not quite out of it enough to warrant that sort of behaviour (well, maybe I am and I just don't know it??)... I'm shallow enough to wear the funky threads and do the messy hair thing. In Miss Door Bitch's defence, she doesn't know that I've been there like dozens of times before, that I'll be out on the dancefloor before most, that I even bought the Honyktonks mix cd the other day 'cause I do in fact go for the music, not just to pose. But even still, she could have been a little more lenient. She was just too cool for school (actually she was looking pretty old, trashy and try-hard; no surprise there - but I guess the Saturday night power trip is all she's got going for her... oooh, burn).

Beautiful way to ruin a legacy of great nights there with a final memory of such poor form. Part of me is still keen to go (maybe next weekend, for Steve Bug...?), part of me just wants to vent some more (they have an enquiries email address on the website), and part of me just doesn't care (f*ck 'em all).

And how did the night end? Not too badly actually - we went back to Loop, got the alcove facing out on to Meyers Place, dranks apple martinis all night and watched the world go by...

1 comment:

Manderlay said...

I hate HT. They always have massive amounts of attitude and I've been KBd with the ridiculous 'guest list' excuse quite a few times. I'm glad it's closing- hopefully they'll put something awesome into that location that doesn't have its metaphorical head stuck up its own arse.