Saturday, November 18, 2006

Showing my age?

Two things I just wanted to comment on... perhaps these topics show my age? My slow loss of coolness? I don't know.

1. Why the f*ck can't anyone younger than me spell properly any more? Seriously. It isn't even just spelling, it is general grammar and comprehensibility. Sure, I'm occasionally guilty of messing around with words ("'cause" instead of "because", and often "kinda" instead of "kind of"), but just reading the extreme ineptitude of the wording of messages on Myspace pages (or watching that Vodafone ad with the girl who only speaks in acronyms, or reaing that schools in NZ were going to allow "text-speak" in exam answers...) makes my head want to explode. If I ever create my own Myspace space, I'd ban anyone who ever left a mess of a message...substituting "8" for an word with "ate" in it, or "luv" instead of "love", all of it. What freaks me out is the fact that it probably takes longer to type words incorrectly (on a keyboard or mobile phone keypad) as opposed to just typing them correctly, or letting predictive text or spell check clean everything up. Even more worrying is if spelling like this comes naturally to these kids... then we are developing entire generations of complete linguistic f*ck-ups. Bodes well for the future of the human race.

2. Guys and their narrow, tight jeans these days. I'm not going to try and analyse the what/why of this "fashion" trend (I'll leave that to those more qualified than I - Footpath Zeitgeist) but what really freaks me out is that, after the world has somewhat calmed down with the hip-hop culture-influenced baggy jean trend, stick figure guys are busting out the narrow leg denim with the crotch hanging somewhere near their knees. What is the point of this look? On what planet of what universe does this look good? I don't get it... they certainly aren't doing it to display stylish underwear or a ripped chest (unless you count an emaciated rib cage as buff). The only thing it looks like is that they couldn't get to the bathroom in time and went in their pants instead, and without a belt, it is starting to drag their pants down...

1 comment:

Bonnie Conquest said...

And! How do they skate with those tight jeans?