Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Oh s**t moment of the day

In a conversation in a meeting yesterday afternoon, we casually asked a colleague "so what's your project all about then?". We got a 30 minute overview that thoroughly scared us off and made us realise he was managing probably the largest project our business unit had ever tried to deliver. Fortunately, we were able to laugh uncomfortably and wipe our brows in relief that we didn't have to try and do that work.

Today my manager told me that my new piece of work would be replacing my colleague and managing the afore-mentioned mega-project. D'oh.

I can manage me. Just. I'm not so sure about managing multiple people across multiple business units in a project with a cost containing many multiple zeros...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I reckon you were due for a fresh challenge. And this is the only way you'll ever get to be the CEO, earn 4 million per annum and buy me a Maserati.

Anonymous said...

My room buddy at work is getting a Maserati - sounds like they're becoming a bit common.

A-Man said...

GCG - "sounds like they're becoming a bit common"... so this means you'll be buying yourself a Lamborghini or something instead to differentiate yourself from the crowd?

Bennett - don't worry, buying you an expensive imported sports car is at the top of my "must-do" list once I'm earning 4 million a year.

Anonymous said...

I'm counting on you guys. Even top-flight academics don't earn more than a couple hundred thousand per year. I don't have to tell you that this is NOT enough for a new Maserati, not by any stretch.

And to Grant - I have to say these nice cars are somewhat wasted on a tiny island. Tell your room buddy to buy a jetboat.

Anonymous said...

Apparently Tiger Woods had his boat down here the other day and there's a boat currently in harbour which we believe is either Paul Allen's or Greg Norman's. So boats, too, are a bit common. A submarine on the other hand...drug smugglers in this region can buy them so why not academics?

A-Man said...

Re: salary. Call me crazy but I'd be content with a couple hundred thousand per year...

Re: transportation. I think we aren't considering a critical sector of the transport industry here... hovercraft. Easily move from beach to beach, take it out into the blue waters of the Carribean, and if you find a deserted tropical island, you can pull right up on to the sands of the beach.

Anonymous said...

Mate, I am totally relying on you to make my airship-driven shipping fantasy a reality. Totally eliminate trucks, replace them with massive hydrogen-buoyed, solar-propelled blimps. It's up to you.