Sunday, August 27, 2006

Sunday Night Film Review

By Sunday night, I mean last Sunday. I've been out of it for the past week, so I'm trying to catch up.

Went and saw "Thank You For Smoking" at the Rivoli. Sunday afternoon was a great time to see it... happily, it wasn't too full and there were no worries getting tickets. (It was a preview screening, so perhaps some people didn't realise it was on).

Great film, jumps into my top few of the year so far. Although, to be honest, I can't remember many of the films I've seen so far this year anyway. The film is basically about a lobbyist (read spin doctor) who works for the tobacco industry. The movie is funny throughout, sometimes because of great writing, sometimes through the awkwardness of political correctness (or lack thereof) and sometimes through some great sight gags. A repeated premise throughout the film is that it doesn't matter what you are arguing about or believe in, because if you argue well, you are always right. Good cast. Ends well too.

No comments: