Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Not Even Sugar Can Help

It is Wednesday afternoon, and I have fallen into the mid-week, mid-afternoon lull. And it is worse than usual.

On most days I experience that brief period, usually sometime around 3pm - 3.30pm where my brain just shuts down, when the relaxation of a lunch break is just a memory. I'll sometimes go and grab a muffin or a V or something just to pep me up.

I don't think anything would work today. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sad or depressed. I think I've somehow lost the energy and motivation that I have had for work over the past 2 or 3 weeks (even though as I described in previous posts, I've had to work frustratingly long hours in difficult situations). It feels like I am one of those mile long freight trains and someone just pulled the brake... it has taken a while to start slowing down, but I can definitely feel the lack of momentum now.

The only problem is... how long will it take to get started again?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, some kind of crappy advertising executive would call your condition 'three-thirty-itis' and try to sell you some shitty powdered soup thing.

A-Man said...

Quite possibly... but unless the powdered soup thing came with extra sugar, I don't think it would have much effect on my brain.

In a related comment, I overhead some advertising execs at lunch the other day; they were discussing a marketing campaign for new Winnie the Pooh products. They used great lines like "retail frame of mind", "market segmentation" and "configurations of Pooh".

Anonymous said...

If I started a blog I would call it 'Configurations of Pooh'.

A-Man said...

Go on, start a blog then!

Mel said...

I remember reading somewhere that this has something to do with protein... Sandor would know.

But maybe your insane working hours have meant your brain thinks crisis mode is normal, and thus anything less stressful is 'shutdown mode'.