Sunday, August 06, 2006

Coincidence, or Something More Mysterious?

In earlier posts I have explained the origin of the ankle injury that I am (still) carrying.

(As an aside; the ankle is slowly healing, I'm walking in "normal" shoes now, no crutches or boot, but I have no strength or stability in the ankle yet, so I can't quite walk normally, and definitely can't run. Uneven surfaces, like bricks or cobblestones, and stairs are currently the bane of my existence).

However, I recently learnt that perhaps there is something more mysterious going on with me and my ankle. On the night I injured it, at Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre, I parked my car in a nearby car park. As I went to get a ticket, a kindly soul who was just leaving offered me his ticket. Bonus. The rest is history... I went inside, played my match of basketball and destroyed my ankle.

A week or so later, a friend of mine, playing basketball on the courts at MSAC injured his right ankle in a similar manner to me. I'd heard the story, but hadn't seen him until last Friday. We were comparing ankle-related war stories, when somehow, he managed to mention that he'd been given a free ticket for his car in the car park that night.

Huh? Excuse me??

That coincidence was just a little too freaky for me. Is this some sort of karmic revenge for using a ticket we didn't pay for? Is some mysterious cosmic entity striking us down? What is going on? Who is to blame for all the pain and anguish I have suffered through?

Universe... if you are listening, I want some answers!!
(I'd prefer blog comments over strange voices in my head and visions in dream, cheers).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, no, the universe is just trying to tell you that exercise is bad, mmmkay?

A-Man said...

I like to believe that the universe is out to get me. But yes, deep down, I now realise exercise is bad.

I am now training hard to make the Olympic team in the lounge room biathlon of couch-sitting and tv watching.