Friday, July 14, 2006

Lists

On the way home tonight, while staggering and hobbling to the train, I started thinking about lists. You know, like top five, top ten lists. Like John Cusack in 'High Fidelity'.

Does anyone ever actually have a "top ten" list of something that they actually remember? Or can decide on? Movies, songs, albums, books, pairs of sneakers, friends, ex-girl/boyfriends, desserts, restaurants, cocktails, paintings, types of cloud, computer games, scientific theorems, Derwent pencil colours...

I can never remember all of my favourite things. Or perhaps, it isn't that I can't remember, it is maybe more like I can't decide on those things that I do actually remember. And I probably forget about some of those favourite things that I really should remember... It's like when you walk into JB HiFi; you know that there is probably dozens of cds or dvds that you'd love to buy right there and then because you thought "it would be great to have that" yesterday/the day before that/last year/whenever, but when you walk into the shop, when you are put on the spot and have to remember and make a decision, you can't remember a single one of those cds or dvds. You are left standing in front of the new release section thinking "now what did I want again...?".

Maybe it's just me?

So I think that I am going to start using this blog to write down lists. I'll start with the cliches, to get them out of the way, and perhaps move on to some more creative lists. Maybe I'll need some rules.

1. The lists won't be number-limited.
i.e. I won't do a top 5 or top 10 every time; I probably won't ever do one of these. I'll do a "as many as I can remember" or "as many as I can be bothered with for the moment".
2. Positive thoughts only.
i.e. I'll keep the lists on a positive vibe. I think it is too easy to fall into a trap and just complain about things. And in some cases, I think developing lists of things that irritate, annoy and frustrate me would be like shooting fish in a barrel. with dynamite.
3. Descriptions necessary.
Even just a brief comment or two to remind me of the experience or thing, and perhaps inform/help/inspire someone else.
4. Repeats welcome.
If I come up with an entry rushing up a list with a bullet, I might just re-visit a previous list.
5. Author has the right to review and update the rules.
Makes my life easier.

I think the best outcome in doing something like this will be to provide a reminder of great experiences from my life that I might have forgotten... so that I can revisit them in memory or in person, even if only for a brief moment.

And if all this turns out to be a complete dud, and I look back and laugh at the thought... well, at least I know what number one with a bullet is on my "Stupid Blog Ideas" list would be.

No comments: