Tuesday, January 23, 2007

It's always funny until someone gets hurt...

This article, in Epicure today, discusses the history and properties of cachaca, the Brazilian national drink. Apparently, cachaca is not rum, but a close relative.

I prefer to remember cachaca by my pet name of "Brazilian crazy rum".

The article warns that "cachaca packs a punch", since it has typically between 38 and 51% alcohol. Oops, a bit late for that advice.

I drank cachaca at my birthday party. In 2005.
There was still some cachaca left in the bottle by the end of the night. About one standard drink worth.
It was a Saturday night. I didn't get to work until Tuesday.

Apart from my pre-Christmas dalliance with a bottle of Bacardi Oro, I've hardly drunk heavily in over 18 months, since that incident.

Cachaca, my friend and enemy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been almost two years. Maybe you've just outgrown drinking to excess? Maybe that was your last hurrah?

A-Man said...

I don't think I've technically outgrown the notion of drinking to excess, I just think that (i) I value my free time and health too much to waste time with hangovers (especially with the memory of my last true hangover being so shocking) and (ii) I don't want to be the idiot who THINKS they can hold their alcohol well and are entertaining company, when in reality they are just annoying and smell like the gutter.

Stick me in front of a nice cocktail list and I could definitely drink to excess with ease, but because of the above points, I generally now choose not to.